Week 28 of my 2018 London Marathon Journey

WOW! I can’t quite believe it is now only a week until the marathon. I never thought it would get to the point where the 22nd of April was in touching distance, so please don’t ask me where the last 28weeks have gone, because I don’t know either. 
Having thought of ways to help me through the marathon, I have dedicated each mile to someone special in my life, someone who has helped me through my difficult times or people I know who have also been affected by the harsh reality of mental health issues. I hope by doing this, it will  not only keep my little legs going for the entire 26.2miles because there will be no way on this earth I will be letting any of you down, but it will also show that lots of people are affected by mental health both directly  and indirectly and that by continuing the conversation on mental health will help us all get through it together. 
Right, so here goes:
Mile 1: Lola - Your sister Elsa thought that you would like this number. Our angel,  we all miss and love you so so much. Keep shining bright in the sky little one and send all the luck my way on marathon day.
Mile 2: Sebastian- For suffering right now.
Mile 3: Becca - Thank you for pushing me through the days when I did not want to run and for making deals with me that if you run then I had to run too. I don’t know how all my running madness has managed to rub off on you and I’m pretty sure that after next weekend you might not want to run a marathon next year with all the stories I’ll have to tell! Let’s smash Wimbledon Half in June…(how did you convince me to that?!).
Mile 4: Grandma Mo - Thank you for always having the best biscuits in the tin for after my long runs and for endless hours of leg massages.
Mile 5: Auntie Lou - For giving me the most special little Elsa Bear to be besties with and for always keeping Mum and Dad on their toes for best present buying when we were little and supporting us ALL along this journey.
Mile 6: Auntie Trudi - Thank you for ensuring my blood sugars have always been topped up throughout my marathon training by keeping the legendary sweet jar filled with all my favourites.
Mile 7: Matthew - I know times have been tough, but you’re doing great! Keep pushing through and showing mental health that there is no stopping you.
Mile 8: Lauren - One of my longest standing pals who has dealt with her own bad times but still manages to be one of the most cheerful and optimistic people I know. Having probably learned your lesson when telling me to calm down at the age of 10, I will need you to tell me those wise words next Sunday all the way from the States!
Mile 9: Uncle Scott and Ellie - For giving me my home in London and for letting me store 8 foam fingers and 20 clackers for cheering on marathon day.
Mile 10: Team Heads Together - For all my fellow Heads Together runners. Let’s smash this and I’ll see you at the end.
Mile 11: Uncle Hassan - This mile is for you for all of your running advice and because I know that you’d do anything to be running this race with me.
Mile 12: The Littles- For always having time for a catch up.
Mile 13: Amy - My girl since day 1. 
Mile 14: The Holmes’ - For just ‘getting’ mental health and having the difficult task of watching some one so close go through it. ***REMINDER*** Make sure you have plenty of snacks in to watch the marathon comfortably from your sofa.
Mile 15: Laura - For helping to raise the awareness that mental health is just as, if not more debilitating than physical health and more people NEED to realise this.
Mile 16: Grandma Pat - For all the worry you have that 26.2 miles is a long way… YES it is a long way but I’ll see you at the end. And for all the times you tell me that if the wind changes direction I’ll be left with a constant frown on my face. 21years in and it still hasn’t happened!
Mile 17: Tia - You are so incredibly brave and one heck of a strong young woman. You’ve got this!
Mile 18: Vicky - They say true friends are always there regardless of how often you see or speak to them when life just gets in the way. Thank you for always checking in with how I am and sending me flowers to brighten my day when I first found myself in difficult times.
Mile 19: Grandad Martyn - I hope that at some point you flick the tv over on Sunday to watch the marathon. Then again, you’ll probably be asleep in your chair. Thanks for letting me believe I’m the favourite grandchild.
Mile 20: Patrick - You’ve been there, done it and got the t-shirt. You better do your pigeon dance when I run past you!
Mile 21: Elsa - My bestest little pal. I love you so so much. Thank you for always being there to put a smile on my face or for much needed Elsa snuggles when Big Liv isn’t very well. You are my little gem even if it does mean having to hold your hand while you’re sat on the toilet. Love you long time you Gonkie Gonk.
Mile 22: Sisley - The one and only Contemporary Queen. I honestly do not know where I would be right now without you. You’ve been an incredibly big part of what at times has been an incredibly shit journey. You are my little star who knew who I needed to see and what I needed to do, you encouraged me to speak up and get help even though I told you many times that you were wrong. Thank you for picking me up late at night to stay at yours, making me dinner, giving me wise words of advice and lots of hugs and reassurance on those dark dark days and for always trying to make me look at things from a positive perspective at how strong I was actually being to deal with such crap.You have quite literally seen me at my highest and my lowest and always without judgment; In the beginning, every conversation would start with me saying “Don’t judge me” to which you would always reply “no judging,I never have and never will judge you” and for this I am truly  grateful. Looking forward to my big bag of sweets at the end of this marathon and celebrating the progress I’ve made.
Mile 23: Ella - My incredible sister who can just about do anything and everything… apart from cooking, cleaning and making a cup of tea (why would you when you have Pat!). Seriously though, you have always showed me that no matter what life throws at you,  keep going and everything is still achievable. You’ve had your own battles to fight but it has never stopped you doing whatever you want to. You thought I was crazy for running the marathon but you’re the one who has been dragged into training now! ***REMINDER*** The marathon is on Sunday 22 April 10am… try not to forget.
Mile 24 and 25: Mum and Dad - You live by the fact that it is not possible to have a favourite child and therefore I do not have a favourite parent so you’re going to have to have 2 miles. Thank you for being my biggest cheerleaders in life, championing everything I do and being there when things are tough. I think you were both surprised that I’d applied for the marathon and after getting a place, even more surprised I was going to run it. For being there through all the meltdowns, days in bed and ‘Nope’ mindset. The encouragement to run even when I don’t want to and endless amounts of love have all helped me through this marathon and my ongoing mental health journey. Anybody would be lucky to have you as parents but too bad they can’t because you’re mine. Dad-I really hope you have not got the Team Luker entourage wearing masks of my face and Mum- please take some electrolyte water and tissues with you because I know that you’ll end up dehydrated from all the tears (7 days to go and you’re already emotional).  
Mile 25: Nanny - For being one of my biggest inspirations to challenge myself and succeed. What a year this is going to be on what would have been your 100th year. I miss listening to all of your life stories and being told the rules of Pointless every time we would come in to visit you. Love and miss you lots. 
365yards: Me - All I can say is that I’m bloody proud of myself for not only taking on the challenge to run 26.2miles but also being open about my mental health. Something I thought would never be possible. Thank you to everyone who has sponsored me so far to help the nation continue talking about mental health. See you on the flip side kids. 
My journey has quite literally been blisters, sweat and tears. For all the challenging days I have faced during my training, thinking I would not make it and all the setbacks namely snow cancelling half marathon training races. It just goes to show that if you put your mind to it you can really achieve great things. I cannot wait to run the final 26.2miles of my marathon journey next Sunday with my fellow Heads Together runners albeit in a forecasted heat wave (just another unfamiliar running condition to contend with). 
Thank you all for following and supporting my marathon journey and hopefully next week we can celebrate a successful day.

If you haven’t already and would like to sponsor me to help meet my £2000 target, you can do so via my JustGiving page: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/LivLukerLondonMarathon2018 

Comments

Popular Posts