Week 18 of my 2018 London Marathon Journey

Wow! What a brilliant way to end the week with a weekend dedicated to everything marathon. 

Yesterday spending the day at the Virgin Money London Marathon ‘Meet the Experts’ Day to pick up all the top tips to make sure I arrive at the start line on April 22nd in tip top form and also catching up with an old school pal who is coincidentally running the marathon too this year for Guide Dogs. 
Today was the Team Heads Together Training Day and what better place to host it than the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. After waiting for this day since deciding to use my ballot place to run for them back in October, I was very excited to meet my fellow runners.
I don’t think I have ever been in a room full of such inspiration people, some who have previously run for the charity and others embarking upon their first marathon. It was so refreshing to be somewhere where people, myself included could easily ask someone their reasons behind running and similarly tell their story and experiences with mental health issues openly and honestly and not feel judged. A day spent with lovely supportive people who just ‘get it’.
After being inspired by Mind Over Marathon last year not knowing that I would encounter my own mental health issues in the form of acute panic disorder and severe depression I was lucky enough to talk to Rhian who featured in the documentary and took on the challenge of 26.2miles in 2017. A common theme throughout the day was how much running or any form of exercise was a mechanism used by many to improve their mental health. 
Although the Royal Highnesses were unable to make it, I took the opportunity to write a note to my future self on the Team Heads Together board which I look forward to reading at the post race reception and thinking 77 days after writing this message I would have actually completed the 2018 London Marathon. Of course being the first one of the day to write on the wall meant I could take the prime spot next to Prince William’s message. 
I have taken on board lots of useful advice this weekend, had fun taking pictures with Heads Together stash and talking to my fellow team mates. Slightly disappointed that I couldn’t do the actual training session as a cold that has recently gone to my chest has made it hard for me to breathe - off to the doctors I go...
Listening to what has helped others to conquer the distance has inspired me to do the following things on marathon day:
1. Take a picture at every mile marker - this will break up the distance and make 26.2miles seem less daunting. 
2. Dedicate every mile to someone special - that way I’ll keep running so I don’t let them down. 
3. Get all my family and friends to put together my marathon playlist for that added boost along the way. 
I am buzzing so much for April 22. Keep your eyes peeled because I was interviewed by the team so who knows if/when that will be used. 
Have a good week y’all. 
Please please please sponsor me via my JustGiving page and help me to raise as much money as possible and feel free to share around. 
https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/LivLukerLondonMarathon2018

Comments

  1. Hi Liv,
    Just want to say how proud we are of you and how you have shown us how strong and determined you are to overcome the issues you are dealing with on a day to day basis.
    Keep battling away and you will get there.
    #teamluker are behind you all the way.
    Love Mama and Papa Luker xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts